New additions to our selections for 2014!
Updated December 3, 2014 – we will be adding and updating this page periodically as we get closer to spring.
We changed Gazania series to Kiss. Gene Simmons would be proud!
We added Zinnia Profusion Double Hot Cherry in place of the Zahara Double Cherry. The Profusion Double Hot Cherry Zinnia held it’s color longer and looked better in all the field trial reports we received. The Profusion Hot Cherry Zinnia is also an All-American Selections (AAS) winner and a Fleuroselect Gold Medal winner.
New Ethnic Culinary and Specialty Vegetables:
We have added in a lot of new specialty vegetables that are postitioned to service a niche market of vegetables that for the most part are not available in supermarkets and that are for people who want to grow their own vegetables for ethnic cuisines. To be successful selling these vegetable plants, we will all have to work hard to let our customers know that they are available.
- 1204 CABBAGE – Chinese Mini Tender Gold
- 1204 COLLARDS – Georgia
- #4 Charley’s Vegetables
- Cucumber Bush Crop – a good choice for patio pots or small gardens
- Cucumber Lemon - a yellow heirloom cucumber
- Cucumber Suyo Long – an Asian burpless heirloom that can grow 15″ long and tends to curl up on one end
- Eggplant Ping Tung Long – a glossy, purple, Asian heirloom with slender 12-18″ long and 1-2″ wide eggplants
- Eggplant Snowy – a white eggplant with a sweet flavor
- Kohlrabi Quickstar – an early slow bolting variety that is very uniform
- Leeks American Flag – does well in out southern climate and has a delicate onion flavor
- Okra Hill Country Red – a unique red okra from the Lone Star State
- Pak Choi – or Bac Choy or Pak Choy or Pac Choi, anyway you spell it, delicious greens that are great in stir fry and soups
- Squash Butternut Waltham – a 1970 AAS Winner for its uniform squash, disease resistance and yields
- Squash Spagetti – a popular squash for its easily cooked squash which has a flesh that separates when cooked and resembles pasta. Also tasty and popular with kids
- Tomatillo Toma Verde – widely used in salsa verde sauces (picture source)
We have added some new peppers that are used in drying and roasting as well as in some Asian dishes for those folks who are looking for something different.
- #4 Charley’s Vegetables
- #1G Charley’s Vegetables
- Tomato Micro Tom – a dwarf tomato for patio pot gardens
2.5 Quart Burpee Bumper Crop Grafted Tomatoes:
We added 4 new grafted tomatoes to our Burpee Bumper Crop Tomato program for 2014.
Big Zac – NEW!
Fireworks – NEW!
Indigo Sun – NEW!
Mrs. Maxwell’s Big Italian – NEW!
#4.5 Premium Annuals:
For 2013 we were not satisfied with how the Calibrachoas in #4.5 Premium pots performed so we are trying a different series.
For 2014, we are going to work with the Calipetite Calibrachoa series.
- CALIBRACHOA – Calipetite Blue
- CALIBRACHOA – Calipetite Pink
- CALIBRACHOA – Calipetite Red
- CALIBRACHOA – Calipetite Yellow
After reviewing at our #4.5 Geranium colors, we dicided that we were a little heavy on the pink and rose colors. So we dropped the Fantasia Neon Rose and added in the Fantasia Purple.
1.0 Qt Proven Winners
After much discussion, we decided that it was time to add in some Proven Winner plants. We had not done so sooner due to their being a good selection of similar product that we felt was as good as or better suited for the South (for the most part). Now there are some plants that are getting a good reputation with landscapers and new colors that have no competition. In response to this newness, we have added the following items to our production. You can find more information on our Proven Winners page.
- Bacopa Snowstorm Giant Snowflake
- Bidens Goldilocks Rocks
- Calibrachoa Superbells Blackberry Punch
- Calibrachoa Superbells Cherry Star
- Calibrachoa Superbells Lemon Slice
- Calibrachoa Superbells Pomegranate Punch
- Evolvulus Blue My Mind
- Lobularia Snow Princess
- Petunia Supertunia Picasso In Pink
- Petunia Supertunia Raspberry Blast
- Petunia Supertunia Vista Bubblegum
- Petunia Supertunia Vista Silverberry
- Nemesia Sunsatia Lemon
- Nemesia Sunsatia Mango
- Osteospermum Symphony Orange
- Verbena Superbena Royale Peachy Keen
- Verbena Superbena Royale Plum Wine
- Verbena Superbena Royale Iced Cherry
New Colors of Cora Vinca in #6 Cora Cascade Vinca in #6 Deluxe Annuals:
New Petunia Colors in #6 Pots and #10 Hanging Baskets:
After hearing from some of our customers, seeing some of the new vegetative Petunias available and a lot of discussion, we decided to add in some new petunias colors.
- Spreading Carmine – replaces Vigorous Red
New Confetti Gardens in both #6 Pots and #12 Hanging baskets:
- Trio Confetti Garden Cupcakes Party
- Trio Confetti Garden Pineapple Punch
- Trio Confetti Garden Pirates Beauty
- Trio Confetti Garden Rockin’ Red
Afternoon Delight and Hawaiian Fruit Bowl were both discontinued.
The 403 Stepables packs and #4 True Stepables pots did not sell well so we are once again changing container sizes and switching to the more common #4(1801) package with #4 Stepables category specific pricing.
- Quart Achillea Moonshine
- Quart Delosperma Peridot (yellow)
- Quart Delosperma Ruby (red)
- Quart Delosperma Topaz (orange)
- Quart Dianthus Ruby’s Tuesday – replaces Double Dwarf Mix
- Quart Gaura Passionate Rainbow Petite – replaces Ballerina Rose
- Quart Rudbeckia Autumn Colors – replaces Prairie Sun
- #1G Polemonium Touch Of Class – replaces Stairway To Heaven
Deco Pots and Bowls:
- #12 Deco Poutunias – replaces Deco Wave Petunias
- #12 Succulent Bowl
- #12 Succulent Oval Bowl
- #12 Color Oval Bowl
You can see more information on these items on our Patio Containers page.
We are phasing out the #8 Square Planter due to poor sales and low margins, and we have discontinues the #12 Deco Trailing Petunia Combos in favor of the #12 Deco Confettis.
Additions and changes to our hanging baskets:
- Geranium Caliente Coral Lavender Rose Mix basket – replaces Caliente Geranium Red
- Petunia Potunia Papaya
- Petunia Potunia Yellow
- Petunia Sweetunia Hot Rod Red